Tuesday, August 20, 2019

A DAY IN THE LIFE | 8.15.19

Hey there, friends!  I've got my very first Day in the Life post today!  I've been blogging for over 2.5 years now and I have yet to do a Day in the Life.  Why?  Because my regular daily life is super dull and it would be the worst post ever.  Trust me.  You'd be so bored.

However, I really did want to do one so I decided to choose a day that we had a little more going on.  What better than the first day of school?!


My alarm went off at 6:30 which, to a lot of you, I know is really late.  But to me, who didn't set an alarm all summer by the way, it's SUPER early.  I've mentioned before that I'm a night owl, not an early bird, so my brain doesn't even really turn on all the way until around 9am.  I've always been like that but I make up for it by being super productive late at night.  Thank goodness.

On this day though, I was excited.  It was the first day of middle school for Matthew, the first day of 4th grade for Mason, and our annual Back-to-School Breakfast with all my friends in downtown Mckinney.  Yay!

All of that meant that I had to actually get myself dressed for the day though.  As in, a real outfit, makeup, and clean(ish) hair.

I have to have some form of entertainment while I get ready (in the mornings especially) but I had just finished my last audiobook the day before.  I didn't have time to browse through Audible to see what book I wanted next...that takes me forever because I have a hundred in my wish list and then always want to spend time reading reviews and summaries.  So I decided to just flip through my Audible Library and choose one that I'd already listened to, didn't remember TOO much about but knew was good.  So I chose Cancel the Wedding.  I remember that I loved this book but for the life of me, couldn't tell you why or who or how or where.  When you read so many books, one after the other, they all start to run together.


Both my boys have been setting their alarm clocks, waking themselves up, dressing themselves, making their own lunches/snacks for years now.  As long as I hear them moving around upstairs by 7:00, I know they are fine and doing what needs to be done.  Neither one of them like to eat breakfast so they'll grab some cereal or a breakfast bar.  Our mornings are very easy.  It also helps that they are boys.  They are ready to go within 30 minutes of waking up.


I told them to go stand outside so we could get our obligatory first day of school pictures.  And they posed like this.  😂

I finally got them to give me the good stuff.  They know if they just smile, I'll leave them alone quicker. ;) 

Mason was leaving first since his school starts earlier and he had to meet his buddies at the corner to ride to school together.

(It gets cold in the classrooms so I told him to grab his hoodie before he left which is why he has it tied around his waist.  I bet it will end up in the lost and found by the end of this week.)

This kid was ready for 4th grade.  He's so confident and comfortable at his school that there were no nerves or anything like that.  He was excited for a fun day!


And then there's this one.  My 6th grader!  How did this happen?!  I feel like he was just this little 2-year-old the other day, sitting out in the driveway with me playing with his cars and watching the neighbor kids leave for school.


He's going to ride the bus a lot but on the first day, he wanted me to take him. We got to school a little too early because we weren't sure how long it would really take with first day traffic.  So we sat in the car for a few minutes before they opened the doors.  I saw a bunch of other parents standing outside with their kids so I asked if he wanted me to walk up with him and he said "Fine".  Which translates to "It's a little embarrassing but I really do want you to although I can't act like it."

And then once we crossed over onto the actual sidewalk, he pretended he didn't know me, kept his eyes forward, smiled and subtly shooed me away whispering "Go away go away go away".  😂😂😂  Not until I get a picture though!  I just love him so much.  He's such a good kid.  Please don't ruin him, middle school!


After I dropped him off, I headed downtown to meet up with these sweet girls for breakfast at Spoons!  I had a breakfast taco the size of my head--minus the tortilla.  So basically, scrambled eggs mixed with sausage, cheese and jalapenos mixed with salsa.  Delicious.


I was home by 10 and craving some of my Keto Cocoa Coffee.  


I use my new milk frother (so cheap and such a cool tool!) to froth up 2tbsp of heavy cream which I add to 8oz of hot water, a scoop of Keto Cocoa and a scoop of my "Magic Coffee".  (You can see the review I did on that HERE.)

Then I poured it all into one of my tumblers so that it would stay hot while I sipped it all morning.  (These tumblers are in my Etsy shop and also come with a straw for cold drinks.)

And just as I was about to go upstairs to work...the doorbell rang.  Package delivery! I ordered some new jeans from Nordstrom Rack the other day because none of my jeans from last year fit anymore.  #ketoforthewin (If you're new around here, you'll hear me mention Keto quite a bit.  You can read all about that HERE if you're interested.)


I ordered three pairs of jeans at some fantastic prices and one pair was just BAD.  But the other two were winners!

I threw on this top with them (from Jane) for a semi-fall look and tied it up on the side so you could see the jeans better. And these booties are the bees knees, y'all.  I'm not sure I've ever used that term before but I'm serious.  If you are looking for a neutral colored bootie that will go with everything and is insanely comfortable, look no further.  I ordered them in black too after I got these.


I love the whiskering and fade on this Wit and Wisdom pair and they are the absolute most comfortable jeans I think I've ever put on.  They just feel GOOD.  Not constricting or heavy...just the perfect amount of stretch and support.  I have a feeling I'll be grabbing for these all the time.

Here's a picture of the back pockets that I thought were really cute too.  (Or awkward pic of my butt?  🤷‍♀️)

And guess what?! These are under $40 (reg $68!) and all sizes are still available!  They were a little long on me (I'm 5'5") but looked cute rolled up, so no biggie.

I also loved this pair of Joe's Jeans.  This is my first pair of Joe's because I cannot bring myself to spend so much money on a pair of jeans when there are so many other great options out there for less.  But hello, Nordstrom Rack!  Originally $169...and I snagged them for under $48!  I love that they hit right at my ankle, I love the dark color, the stretch...all of it.  These are probably the closest thing I have to "jeggings".  They fit tight but have a lot of stretch.  Great for tunics and long shirts too!  The last time I checked, these were starting to sell out so if you want that deal, go now!

After my little try-on session, and a quick flip of the laundry, I made a pit-stop in the kitchen before heading upstairs to (finally) start working.  I bought this Artichoke, jalapeno and parm dip at Sprouts last week and it is SO good and also Keto-Friendly.  It's a little spicy which I love because it means I won't eat the whole thing in one sitting. ;)  I use these Parmesan Whisps as my cracker and really only need about 3 or 4 and I'm satisfied.


And since my mouth was burning, I cut off a couple of slivers of this Havarti cheese as well to cool it off.  This stuff is DREAMY.  It's creamy, rich and buttery.  If you have never tried Havarti cheese, grab some the next time you're at the store!

(Did I mention how much I love Keto?  Hahaha.  Give me all the cheese apparently!)


I finally got upstairs and started to work.  I just got my new Silhouette machine last week after my other one died.  Boo.  But this new one is fantastic!

I worked for a few hours straight on sign orders, tumblers, posted deals to the Daily Deals FB Group (are you in there with us?!) and then took a few minutes to play on my phone.  ;)  I had watched Southern Charm the night before and OMG...Shep.  He has fallen from grace, that's for sure.  I wanted to see if he'd posted anything on IG about his ridiculous behavior this season after the airing of the finale but nope...business as usual.  Except for the hundreds of comments basically saying everything I was thinking.  (I don't know if you can read those comments...they may be too blurry.)

And after I read them all, I unfollowed him.  He no longer deserves my "like".  😂

I worked for about 30 more minutes until this guy came home and ran upstairs to tell me all about this day!


He ran off to his friend's house shortly after this and I started to watch the clock.  Matthew's school gets out at 3:45 and this was the first time he'd even ridden the bus.  So I was a little nervous.  I told him over and over the night before and on the way to school that morning to just look for your bus number and get on it.  That's all you have to do.


I started texting him around 4:00 to make sure he was on the bus but heard nothing back.  Hmm. Maybe his phone was still on silent from the day and he hadn't thought to turn it back on in all the after school commotion.  So I texted him a couple more times and just left it at that.

Of course, the buses were running late since it was the first day so at 4:35 when the bus finally pulled up, I was waiting to capture a picture of my boy!  The bus let out one of our neighbors and then pulled away.  WHAT?!  Where was my kid?!!


Long, dramatic story short, Matthew's friend (a 7th grader from across the street who rode the bus all last year) told him to get on a different bus after school.  He said they had a new bus number.  I had been texting Matthew since school let out too and hadn't heard anything back so I didn't know any of this.  Matthew's phone was off because they had been told to turn them off at school and he never turned it back on.  (Silent mode works just as well, Bub!  It's hard to track you when you're phone isn't on! Ugh.)  So there were some very tense moments of not knowing where the heck my (6th grade) baby was for a while.  Thankfully, the bus they were on does come to our neighborhood so they were able to get off and walk home fairly close.


While all of that was going on, Mason was at his friend's house, footloose and fancy-free.  haha  (Pic from their mom.)


Once I knew my boys were safe and sound, I headed BACK upstairs to finish up my work for the day.  


When I came back downstairs a little while later, I saw that I had an Amazon box waiting for me with a top I'd purchased a couple of days before. I mean seriously, when you're a grown-up with a debit card, it can be like Christmas every day.  Even if all you're doing is buying batteries or gluesticks.  It's still fun.

I gushed about this top on my Friday Favorites last week and you can go there to see more pics of it but I absolutely adore it!!  The material is so soft and thick.  It's just a great top.  So I threw my other favorite jeans of the moment (I have at least 4 favorites right now..haha) on along with these adorable leopard booties for my second try-on session of the day.

And since I was in the dining room already (it gets the best light), I decided to go ahead and add a tiny touch of fall with these black/white buffalo check pumpkins on my scale.  I bought them at Hobby Lobby last Saturday and they've been sitting on my table in the bag all week waiting for me to just give in already and put them out.  They are just so dang cute.

Meanwhile...the boys were doing what they do best.  (See: trash, dirty dishes, phones, discarded clothing)


We had steak, mashed cauliflower and Ceasar salad for dinner.


The boys showered and headed upstairs by 9.  Craig watched some TV in the living room while I got my own TV fix in the bed. 

9:30(ish) pm

 I worked on the follow-up to my Keto blog post (it's coming, I swear)...

...ordered more supplies and inventory for the shop, created my designs that would need to be cut the next day and finally...

...called it a night at 12:06am.

And that was a day in my life!  Not quite a typical day but almost.

Happy Day, friends!



  1. I am so happy you did this post!!! Please do more in the future :) . I love looking at days in the life of people!! :)

  2. I loved these kinds of posts! And now I’m adding some of your goodies to my Amazon and Nordstrom carts!�� Also, I’m glad to see I’m not the only one so over Shep this season! He used to be my favorite: the voice of reason over all the drama. Now he’s just becoming a grumpy old curmudgeon ��

  3. Great post. 6:30 alarm-thank you and yes, it is still early to me as well.

    I have a sixth grader as well this year. The first day I drove her to school, I told her that sixth grade parents don't walk their children to the door any more. (I didn't want to embarrass her) Well, lo and behold, it was like your son's school. We got there and yes, there were parents standing outside. It was too late to park and walk her in, but I thought dang! I probably missed my last chance to do this because I bet seventh grade parents REALLY don't walk their children to the door.
    Also, her bus was late as well. I have never "clock watched" as much as I did that day.


I love hearing from you! Drop a comment below!